The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) provides a weekly update on road construction in North Central Wisconsin, which includes: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood counties.
To learn more about North Central Region transportation news, project updates, studies, and more:
- Follow us on Twitter: @WisDOTnorthcent
- Visit the region’s 511 website: http://projects.511wi.gov/region/north-central/ for additional project information and pictures.
Highway: US 51 (*updated*)
Location: Falcon Drive to Rainbow Drive (north of Wausau), town of Maine
Schedule: August 31, 2015 to June 2016
Cost: $2.1 million
Description: Crews will place concrete overlays on five bridges: Falcon Drive over US 51, northbound and southbound US 51 over Maine Drive, and northbound and southbound US 51 over Rainbow Drive.
Traffic impacts: Motorists on US 51 can expect to encounter single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH between Maine Drive and Rainbow Drive.
Highway: US 51 (*updated*)
Location: Decator Drive to County WW
Schedule: February 29, 2016 to late October 2017
Cost: $6.32 million
Description: Crews will replace the bridge decks on northbound US 51 over Decator Drive and on northbound and southbound US 51 over County WW
- Motorists on northbound US 51 can expect to encounter single lane closures, a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH, and a reduced lane width of 15 feet.
- Decator Drive is closed under US 51 until March 31. No detour is posted.
Highway: WIS 29
Location: Sunrise Drive to Business 51
Schedule: April 29, 2014 to May 25, 2017
Cost: $18.8 million
Description: Crews will widen and replace bridge decks on WIS 29 bridges over Business 51 and the Wisconsin River.
- Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH until mid-November.
- The sidewalk along the west side of southbound Business 51, between Everest Drive and West Grand Avenue will remain closed until mid-June 2016.
Location: WIS 23/82 to Edgewood Court
Schedule: March 14, 2016 to May 15, 2017
Cost: $7.2 million
Description: Crews will replace the I-39 southbound bridge and resurface the I-39 northbound bridge over the WIS 23/82 interchange, realign the southbound ramps at the interchange, realign a section of Crossroads Clinic Road, resurface the northbound and southbound I-39 bridges over Fawn Court, and raise the County M and Edgewood court bridges over I-39.
Traffic impacts: Single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH on I-39 are currently scheduled to begin as early as April 4.
Highway: US 51
Location: Rocky Run Road to County Y
Schedule: February 29, 2016 to November 2017
Cost: $10.1 million
Description: Crews will reconstruct US 51, replace culverts, reconstruct intersections, lengthen existing passing lanes, and construct a new bridge over Rocky Run Creek.
Traffic impacts: The northbound and southbound shoulders of US 51 are closed between Rocky Run Road and South Blue Lake Road.
Highway: I-39 (*updated*)
Location: County D to Birch Drive
Schedule: March 14, 2016 to late-August 2016
Cost: $2.65 million
Description: Crews will resurface the bridge decks and approaches on 13 bridges along I-39, including eight bridges on I-39 and five overpasses. Crews will also replace guardrail on the overpasses.
- Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH on I-39 between just north of the County W interchange and just south of the WIS 54 interchange until late May.
- Beginning March 28, motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures and temporary traffic signals on County D.
Highway: Business 51 (Post Road), Plover (*updated*)
Location: Green Drive to Springville Drive
Schedule: March 7, 2016 to late November 2016
Cost: $8.65 million
Description: Crews will convert the existing, undivided four-lane roadway to a divided four-lane roadway with wider lanes, a raised median, and designated turn lanes. Work also includes constructing new sidewalks, bicycle lanes, and providing new street lighting.
- Crews plan to reduce northbound Business 51 to a single lane between Green Drive and Springville Drive on March 28. The lane closure is expected to continue for two weeks.
- Beginning March 28, crews plan to close intersections along the east side of Business 51 for the relocation of fire hydrants. Each closure is expected to take several hours. Crews plan to start at Green Drive and work north.
Motorists are reminded to drive with caution in the work zone and should be prepared to encounter slow moving trucks. Motorists should slow down, use caution and stay alert when driving through construction zones. To avoid delays, consider taking an alternative route and avoid peak travel periods.
Construction-related traffic impacts are subject to change and are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction status.