North Central Region road construction update
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) provides a weekly update on road construction in North Central Wisconsin, which includes: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood counties.
To learn more about North Central Region transportation news, project updates, studies, and more:
- Follow us on Twitter: @WisDOTnorthcent
- Visit the region’s 511 website: http://projects.511wi.gov/region/north-central/ for additional project information and pictures.
Highway: WIS 13
Location: McMillan Street to 26th Road, Marshfield and town of Spencer
Schedule: May 31, 2016 to July 1, 2016
Cost: $1.75 million
Description: Crews will resurface the roadway to extend the life of the pavement.
- Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures and speed reductions (45 MPH zone reduced to 35 MPH and 55 MPH zone reduced to 45 MPH)
- Crews are planning several short term closures (4-hour periods) at the following intersections with WIS 13 until June 6:
- Guard Street
- Spencer Street
- Mann Road
Highway: US 51
Location: Falcon Drive to Rainbow Drive (north of Wausau), village of Maine
Schedule: August 31, 2015 to June 2016
Cost: $2.1 million
Description: Crews will place concrete overlays on five bridges: Falcon Drive over US 51, northbound and southbound US 51 over Maine Drive, and northbound and southbound US 51 over Rainbow Drive.
Traffic impacts: Beginning June 13, motorists on US 51 can expect to encounter single lane closures at Maine Drive.
Highway: US 51 (*updated*)
Location: Decator Drive to County WW
Schedule: February 29, 2016 to late October 2017
Cost: $6.32 million
Description: Crews will replace the bridge decks on northbound US 51 over Decator Drive and on northbound and southbound US 51 over County WW
- Motorists on US 51 can expect to encounter single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH between County WW and Decator Drive.
- Crews will close Decator Drive under US 51 on Monday, June 6. No detour will be posted. The road is scheduled to reopen in late August.
Highway: WIS 29
Location: Sunrise Drive to Business 51
Schedule: April 29, 2014 to May 25, 2017
Cost: $18.8 million
Description: Crews will widen and replace bridge decks on WIS 29 bridges over Business 51 and the Wisconsin River.
- Motorists on WIS 29 can expect to encounter single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH until mid-November.
- The sidewalk along the west side of southbound Business 51, between Everest Drive and West Grand Avenue will remain closed until mid-June 2016.
Highway: I-39 (*updated*)
Location: WIS 23/82 to Edgewood Court
Schedule: March 14, 2016 to May 15, 2017
Cost: $7.2 million
Description: Crews will replace the I-39 southbound bridge and resurface the I-39 northbound bridge over the WIS 23/82 interchange, realign the southbound ramps at the interchange, realign a section of Crossroads Clinic Road, resurface the northbound and southbound I-39 bridges over Fawn Court, and raise the County M and Edgewood court bridges over I-39.
Traffic impacts: Motorists on I-39 can expect to encounter:
- Weekday, single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH at the WIS 23/82 interchange.
- A reduced lane width of 12 feet at Edgewood Court.
Highway: US 51
Location: Bearskin Trail Bridge, Hazelhurst
Schedule: April 11, 2016 to early October 2016
Cost: $1.2 million
Description: Crews will replace the existing bridge to meet current standards.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter shoulder closures at the bridge.
Highway: US 51 (*updated*)
Location: Rocky Run Road to County Y
Schedule: February 29, 2016 to November 2017
Cost: $10.1 million
Description: Crews will reconstruct US 51, replace culverts, reconstruct intersections, lengthen existing passing lanes, and construct a new bridge over Rocky Run Creek.
- The northbound and southbound passing lanes between Rocky Run Road and South Blue Lake Road are closed. One lane will remain open to traffic in each direction.
- Motorists can expect to encounter daytime flagging operations between Rocky Run Road and Frost Bite Trail.
Highway: WIS 49, town of Alban
Location: Cedar Road to Lake View Road
Schedule: May 16, 2016 to late August 2016
Description: Crews will rout and seal cracks to help prevent further pavement deterioration and chip seal and fog seal the highway surface to improve ride quality and protect the asphalt. Website: http://projects.511wi.gov/wis49portage/
Traffic impacts: Work is suspended and is currently scheduled to resume in early August.
Location: WIS 66/Stanley Street (Stevens Point) to the Little Plover River (Plover)
Schedule: April 4, 2016 to late October 2016
Cost: $1.5 million
Description: Crews will resurface the northbound and southbound bridges on I-39 over WIS 66/Stanley Street, over the railroad, and over the Little Plover River.
Traffic impacts: Work is suspended and is currently scheduled to resume in early July.
Location: County D to Birch Drive
Schedule: March 14, 2016 to late August 2016
Cost: $2.65 million
Description: Crews will resurface the bridge decks and approaches on 13 bridges along I-39, including eight bridges on I-39 and five overpasses. Crews will also replace guardrail on the overpasses.
- Motorists on I-39 may encounter periodic single lane closures.
- Motorists on County W can expect to encounter single lane closures and temporary traffic signals at the I-39 bridges.
- Birch Drive is closed over I-39. No detour is posted. The road is currently scheduled to reopen in mid-August.
- 3rd Avenue is closed over I-39. No detour is posted. The road is currently scheduled to reopen in mid-July.
Highway: Business 51 (Post Road), Plover (*updated*)
Location: Green Drive to Springville Drive
Schedule: March 7, 2016 to late November 2016
Cost: $8.65 million
Description: Crews will convert the existing, undivided four-lane roadway to a divided four-lane roadway with wider lanes, a raised median, and designated turn lanes. Work also includes constructing new sidewalks, bicycle lanes, and providing new street lighting.
- Business 51 will remain open to one lane in each direction.
- Crews are planning several short-term closures (for storm sewer and utility work) at the following west intersections with Business 51.
- June 7 to June 8 – Cedar Drive
Highway: County P (Old US 10), Auburndale
Location: US 10 to County F
Schedule: April 25, 2016 to late November 2016
Cost: $5.5 million
Description: Crews will replace pavement, construct a new local road system, remove railroad crossings, reconstruct and realign intersections, and construct a pedestrian underpass.
Traffic impacts: The shoulder of northbound County P is closed at the location where the new local road system will connect with County P.
Motorists are reminded to drive with caution in the work zone and should be prepared to encounter slow moving trucks. Motorists should slow down, use caution and stay alert when driving through construction zones. To avoid delays, consider taking an alternative route and avoid peak travel periods.
Construction-related traffic impacts are subject to change and are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction status.