Fourth Annual Bike the Barn Quilts Coming Soon
For the Antigo Times
Shawano, Wisconsin – Bike the Barn Quilts, Shawano Pathway’s premier event, will take place on Saturday, September 24th. All events are designed to be recreational and family friendly – riders of all skill levels are encouraged to participate. The bike rides vary in distance from 5-70 miles. Each ride features many of the over 300 barn quilts in Shawano County, located on local barns throughout the county. Depending on the bike ride chosen, participants will view 3-30 quilts.
New this year is a 5 & 10k walk/run and “mini-quilts”! These 2 routes are part of Shawano’s Park to Park loops system, developed by Shawano Pathways. Decorating these routes will be 12″ mini-quilts. The mini-quilts:
- Were painted by local youth and area artists
- Are currently on display in downtown Shawano and will decorate the walk/run routes.
- Available for purchase before the event! Quilts not sold beforehand will also be available for auction on the 24th. All quilts will be available to pick up at the end of the Bike the Barn Quilt event on the 24th.
- Funds from these quilts will go to local agencies which support Shawano County’s youth and vulnerable and help make our community a great place to live, work and play.
Pathways is proud to partner with a number of local agencies serving Shawano County; SAM25 (Shawano’s local homeless shelter), the Boys & Girls Club (opening January 2017), and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Participants will be able to support these organizations and celebrate this year’s theme of “Generosity in Motion” by:
- Bidding on the mini-quilts. All funds generated from the mini-quilts goes to support one of the three partnering organizations of this year’s event. The quilts are available to check out on Main St. in Shawano or online at shawanopathways.org. To bid or purchase a quilt, forms can be picked up at Angie’s on Main or Co-Vantage Credit Union.
- Making a donation before or the day of the event
- Be a sponsor or get sponsors as you bike, walk, or run for these organizations. Pledge sheets are available on the Pathways website or Co-Vantage locations in Shawano. Participants will be able to turn in completed pledge sheets and funds raised when they sign-in on the 24th.
All events start and end at Memorial Athletic Park, 909 Lincoln Street in Shawano. The $25 registration fee includes; a continental breakfast, incentive, lunch, maps, signed routes, food and water stations, SAG vehicles, and music. Vendors will also be at the park with a number of items available for purchase. The 70 and 40 mile rides begin at 8:00 with all other rides starting at 9:00am with 5 minutes intervals. The run/walk will begin at 9:30am.