By Craig Marx, Editor
Michelle Arlen enters her second year as head coach of the Antigo boys swim team, a squad that kicked off its Great Northern Conference season in Lakeland with an unfortunate but promising loss.
“We did see a lot of positives already despite the loss,” Arlen said. “We’re really banged up as a team and don’t quite have the numbers to fill lanes in the pool, but our guys showed good times – basically where they were at the end of last year.”
The Robins field 11 swimmers this season, 10 of whom are returning, with the graduation departure of Spencer Fittante the team’s only loss.
Boys swimming finished third in the GNC behind Lakeland and Shawano based on total conference points. The conference meet looks to be held in Lakeland, a consistent GNC swimming foe, on February 2.
Antigo boys swimming was able to secure spots on both the Great Northern Conference’s second team all-conference and honorable mention lists, including: Holden Meidl – second team all-GNC in the 200 yard freestyle and 500 yard freestyle; Brett Farmer – second team all-GNC in the 100 yard backstroke and honorable mention in the 100 yard butterfly; and the honorable mention relay teams of the 200 yard freestyle relay (Zach Reineke, Austin Arlen, Spencer Fittante, and Holden Meidl) and the 400 yard freestyle relay (Holden Meidl, Spencer Fittante, Zach Reineke, and Brett Farmer).
Lakeland proves to be consistently tough for Antigo and the rest of the conference and will meet up with the Robins at the Clara R. McKenna Aquatic Center on December 21.
2017-18 AHS Boys Swimming Schedule (remaining)
- Thursday, December 7 – at Rhinelander – Rhinelander High School
- Tuesday, December 12 – vs. Medford – Antigo High School
- Thursday, December 14 – at Shawano – Shawano Community High School
- Thursday, December 21 – vs. Lakeland – Antigo High School
- Thursday, January 4 – at Tomahawk – Tomahawk High School
- Thursday, January 18 – at Medford – Medford Area High School
- Thursday, January 25 – vs. Shawano – Antigo High School
- Friday, February 2 – GNC Meet at Lakeland – Lakeland Union High School
- Saturday, February 10 – Sectionals – TBA